Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pieces Of My Soul

Soul Mate (noun): a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner

When we think of a soul mate we think of that one true love. The person that you are just destined to be with for eternity. Now, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a skeptic. For the longest time I questioned the existence of soul mates. My thought process was, 'How can you be meant for just one person in this entire world?' My philosophy has always been that there is never just one person you are meant to end up with. If you find a person you wouldn't mind hanging out with for the rest of your life and are mature enough to be able to work through problems, you can marry just about anyone. However, my thought process has since changed.

I think that everyone has that moment after graduating high school where you wonder if you'll ever find friends like the ones you had in high school in college. That's why when kids go off to college, for the first year they take breaks very seriously and look forward to going home and seeing their high school friends. As the years progress this anxiety of the approaching break becomes less and less appealing. You begin to fully immerse yourself in all that college has to offer and eventually find friends that are just as great, if not better, than the friends you have back home.

The scariest part though is finding those friends. People like to make the argument that by joining a sorority you are 'paying for friends'. However, once you join a sorority you begin to realize how wrong of a statement that is. Yes, there are dues that you have to pay but those dues go towards the organization as a whole and being able to fund all of the fun things our organization puts on for its members. This organization has given me something that none other could, a home away from home. Somewhere that I have found people who accept me for exactly who I am and women who I really have made a special bond with outside of the sorority connection.

Pi Phi is the perfect fit for me personality wise. I know that I would just not fit in the same in other sororities. Yes, I could find friends and connections in any sorority I may have joined but I know deep down inside this one was meant for me. Next year I will be living with my 3 best friends in my sorority. I am happy to say that these women have truly become my best friends. They are always there for me when I need it and know me better than anyone else. They are what make Pi Phi my home away from home. These are the people that you know you will be friends with forever.

This is exactly why my mind has changed in regards to the existence of soul mates. I think that when you think of that term you automatically assume that it needs to be in a romantic way. I would like to counter that and argue that perhaps anyone can be your soul mate - whether it be romantically or just through friendship. These women get me, unlike anyone else I have ever met. They truly care about me and are interested about my life. There is something to be said about someone who wants to hang out with you just as much as you want to hang out with them. I have found that in these women. And I know that due to the existence of those people you meet in your life that you are able to pick up right where you left off, as if no time has gone by whatsoever. They know you so well that they could practically read your mind if they needed to.

That to me, is a soul mate. Someone who you connect with in a way you may not be able to explain to others. In some ways it makes me worried about finding a man that I want to spend the rest of my life with on these terms. But then I think of my favorite Carrie Bradshaw quote and realize it doesn't matter, because I know I have found at least one person in this world who gets me - and that's all anybody ever needs.


Until next time,

Casey Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment